Bird Spring Range HP and Bird Peak

Bird Spring Range HP and Bird Peak

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.89270°N / 115.39°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route is a nice class two route that leads to the summit of the High Point of the Bird Spring Range (5,695’). It is a short 0.76 miles to the High Point with about 831 feet of elevation gain. There is one steep section along the way, but it is no more than class 2.

From here you can continue south along the ridge and head to Bird Peak. This is another ¾ of a mile with a short drop in elevation and then back up to 5,672 feet and Bird Peak. There are a few rocky outcrops along the way. This ridge hike provides superb views of all the desert peaks in the area.


Getting There

High Clearance Vehicle Needed

From Las Vegas Drive South along I-15 and take Blue Diamond Road (exit 33) towards Pahrump (west). Set your odometer to “0” here. Drive for 16.2 miles and turn left on a dirt road heading south here. (This is just pass a “passing lane” sign.)

After 19.4 miles you’ll pass over Cotton Wood Pass. Continue south. After 23.9 miles turn left onto a dirt road heading right towards the Bird Spring Range. After 25.6 miles you will hit a fork in the road. Take the right fork. Continue driving through a wide wash until you hit 26.3 miles. There is another fork here, which marks the parking location.

Alternatively, if you are driving from the south you can take I-15 to exit 12 at Jean, NV. Set your odometer to “0.” Drive East on HWY 161 (Sandy Valley Rd) towards Goodsprings. Drive for 5.5 miles and turn right onto Good Springs Bypass (also called Gravel Haul rate). Follow this road for 1.9 miles and then turn right. Drive another 1.3 miles along this road and then turn right heading North on a dirt road. The Bird Spring Range will be on your right (east). Drive for another 3.0 miles and then turn right (east) on a dirt road that heading straight towards the Bird Spring Range. Drive for another 1.7 miles to a fork, take the right fork. Continue another 0.7 miles to another fork. This is where you park.

Note: the road goes up the left fork here up the ridge for a ways, but it is not smart to drive up here as it is very rough and steep.

Route Description

Steep part of RoadView at WPT 2













From the parking area start hiking East up the ridge and follow the road. After a little ways the road gets steep and then mellows out past a rocky outcrop. The road narrows to a trail which takes you all the way to the Bird Spring Range High Point.

Here is a table of the waypoints and descriptions which also take you to Bird Peak, ¾ mile south along the ridge from the High Point. If you do both peaks it is about 3.0 miles round trip.




WPTDescriptionLatitudeLongitude Elevation (ft) & Distance (mi)
WPT 1ParkN35° 53.801'W115° 24.047'4,864'; 0.00
WPT 2Start of Steep SectionN35° 53.679'W115° 23.763'5,172'; 0.34

WPT 3
Turn left on TrailN35° 53.584'W115° 24.047'5,577'; 0.64
WPT 4Bird Spring Range High PointN35° 53.801'W115° 23.3925,695'; 0.76
WPT 5Rocky OutcropN35° 53.437'W115° 23.3565,590'; 0.93
WPT 6Bird PeakN35° 53.034W115° 23.190'5,672'; 1.56


To return retrace your steps.





GPS TraceThe Route

Essential Gear

Good Hiking Boots. Maybe some gloves if you spend a lot of time scrambling on the limestone on the ridges.






Test



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.