Black Dome

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.27080°N / 74.1363°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike - Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See getting there Barnum Road and ending at Big Hollow Road.
Car shuttle would be required for this route unless you are to return as an out and back.

Route Description


Trail length one way = 5.3 miles
Elevation gain = 2,600’

Start at parking lot at the end of Barnum Road and follow the red markers to the trail register @ 0.2 miles. Leave road and continue following the red markers while starting up steeper slopes for another 0.7 miles to Caudal (false summit) continue to another false summit at 0.6 miles, Camels hump. Continue another 0.9 miles to the summit of Thomas Cole Mountain. Continue east along the ridge while starting down to the saddle between Thomas Cole and Black Dome Mtn. – 0.35 miles. Continuing east and ascend up to Black Dome 0.35 miles to the summit of Black Dome. Continue east and descend to the saddle (Lockwood Gap) between Black Dome and Black Head 0.55 miles to the intersection with Black Head trail – Yellow Markers. Turn left here while still on red markers and head down slope. Follow this north for 1.05 mile to the intersection with the Batavia Kill trail – yellow markers. Turn left here and continue following the red markers for another 0.6 mile to the parking are and trailhead at Big Hollow.

Essential Gear


Snow shoes and crampons in the winter months

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.