Blodgett Peak Open Space

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.95080°N / 104.9347°W
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 Scramble
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Blodgett Peak from Lone PineFrom Lone Pine



This option to summit Ormes Peak provides a longer, more aggressive, route to the standand route from FR 302. The Blodgett Peak Open Space starting point involves significantly more elevation gain and quite a bit of off-trail route finding but allows the adventurous climber the option of summiting three additional peaks along the way. These additional peaks are Blodgett Peak (9,423'), Point 9,491' and Lone Pine (9,438') which form a large portion of the western skyline of northern Colorado Springs.

Getting There

Ormes Peak from Lone PineOrmes Peak



The Getting There Section in the Blodgett Peak Open Space trailhead page provides directions to the trailhead.

Route Description

The Lone PineThe Lone Pine

The beginning portion of this route it to follow the standard route up Blodgett Peak to the saddle between Blodgett Peak and Point 9,491'. The first option for a short side trip is from this saddle. To complete this option head north up the south slopes of Blodgett Peak. After a few minutes you will arrive on the summit and get a great view of Ormes Peak to the west-southwest. After soaking in the views return to the saddle and the route to Ormes Peak.

From the Blodgett Peak/ Point 9,491' saddle, head southwest along the ridge to the summit of Point 9,491'. Depending on your exact route you may encounter some minor boulder scrambling and during winter and early spring - snow. Staying near the ridge will avoid significant downfall, boulders, snow and steep sideslopes on the west slopes of Point 9,491'. The views of Ormes Peak to the west and Blodgett Peak to the northeast are quite impressive. I anyone is on Blodgett Peak you will be able to see them as it less than a half mile away.

Leaving the summit of Point 9,491', proceed southwest staying as close to the ridge as possible to the saddle between Point 9,491' and the long north-south ridge of Lone Pine. From the saddle begin the route up the north ridge of Lone Pine. Depending on your exact route you may encounter some minor boulder scrambling and during winter and early spring - snow. Once near the top of the ridge, pick your way along the ridge for nearly a half mile until you come to the true summit of Lone Pine. You may find it easier in places to drop off the ridge to the west to avoid some difficult bouldering.

Once on the summit of Lone Pine you will be rewarded with the view of the "lone pine" and one of the best views of Colorado Springs in the entire area. The east side of the summit is guarded by cliffs that are visible from much of northern Colorado Springs - once you know where to look.

From Lone Pine head down the north ridge of the main summit area until you find a faint trail heading northwest towards Ormes Peak. This trail becomes quite obvious after a short while and leads you to the saddle between Lone Pine and Ormes Peak at FR 302. From this point either work your way up Ormes Peak or follow FR 302 left to the south side of Ormes Peak and scramble up the south slopes.

When you pop out on the summit you will find it to be a small, flat plateau area relatively clear of trees. The views from the summit plateau are amazing in all directions including Blodgett Peak to the east, Eagle Peak to the northeast, Cheyenne Mountain to the southeast, Rampart Reservoir and the Lost Creek Wilderness area to the west, Raspberry Mountain to the southwest and the huge Pikes Peak batholith to the south. The high point is located on the northwest corner of the summit plateau.

With a vehicle shuttle on FR 302 your day would almost be complete. Without a vehicle shuttle retrace your steps (avoiding the side trips to Lone Pine and Blodgett Peak) to the Blodgett Peak Open Space.

Essential Gear

A topographic map and compass along with good route finding skills are essential on this cross country route. A GPS unit would be helpful but should not be your only option - a map and compass don't have batteries that can die. If traveling solo make plenty of noise since this is black bear and mountain lion country and make sure someone knows your plans - this area is pretty lightly traveled for being so close to over half a million people.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.