Bolan Mountain Lookout

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 42.01840°N / 123.4545°W
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6242 ft / 1903 m

Overview

Bolan Lookout from Althouse MountainBolan Lookout from Althouse Mtn.
View of Bolan Lake from the...Bolan Lake from the summit


The present lookout that is in place on Bolan Mountain was built in 1953 and the style that it was built in is one of the last remaining of it's kind.

The lookout is fairly small (14 x 14) and is designed to hold only one or two people, but you can reserve for up to four. It is generally available from July 12th - September 30th.

CAUTION!! It is not recommended for families with small children or toddlers to it's location and the drop offs located around it's circumference.

Getting There

Getting to the Ranger Station to pick up keys

From Grants Pass, OR - Follow US-199 S for approximately 29 miles and the ranger station will be on your right hand side. The address is 26568 Redwood Highway.

From Crescent City, CA - Get onto Highway 101 North for a little over 3 miles and then merge onto US-199 N for approximately 48 miles. The Ranger station will be on your left hand side.

From the Ranger Station you will travel seven miles south of Cave Junction and turn east onto Waldo Rd (Note: Waldo Rd. will not necessarily be 7 miles from the ranger station). Follow this road for 5 miles until you reach a stop sign located at an intersection. Continue straight onto Happy Camp Rd for another 12.5 miles. You will reach the crest of the hill and will see a Bolan Lake Campground sign. Follow this road that is off to your left. It will be Road 4812. At this point it would be a good idea to set your trip odometer to keep track of miles driven. Follow Road 4812 for 1.8 miles, there will be a couple of roads veering off along the way, but stay on the main road. When you reach the 1.8 mile mark you will want to stay to the right side of the road which goes slightly downhill. Drive for another 2.4 miles until you reach another intersection that will have a sign pointing you to Bolan Lake Campground. Follow this road for another 1.1 miles until you reach Road 535. Follow this road to the right for 1.6 miles until you reach the lookout. THIS ROAD IS GATED!! ACCESS IS ONLY ALLOWED TO THOSE WHO ARE RENTING THE LOOKOUT TOWER OVERNIGHT. YOU MUST HAVE A KEY TO ENTER. IT IS CLOSED DURING THE WINTER.

Red Tape/Fees/Amenities

Availability - Per Reservation, which need to made 10 days in advance.
Fees - $40/night (5 day maximum stay)
Maximum capacity - 4 people
Amenities - 1 Table, 2 chairs, 1 person bed, 1 footstool, 1 broom, 1 fire extinguisher. (All persons staying will need to bring their own utensils for eating and will need to bring their own camp stove if cooking hot food)
NO WATER AVAILABLE - Be sure to bring what you need unless you want to hike to the lake, filter it, and then hike back up.
Bathroom(s) - Outhouse is available down the steps from the lookout.
High Clearance Vehicle Recommended
Pets - Allowed
Smoking - Not Allowed

Contact Information

Illinois Valley Ranger District
26568 Redwood Hwy
Cave Junction, OR 97523
Phone:(541) 592-4000

Weather Conditions

SNOW CONDITIONS

OR CALL - (541)592-4000




600x400
Click the Satellite picture for a video loop of current weather

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Siskiyou MountainsHuts & Campgrounds
 
Bolan MountainHuts & Campgrounds