Boomerang Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.71000°N / 105.92°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Intermediate Snow Climb, Advanced Ski Descent, D8
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hagar Mountain lies on the Continental Divide north of Loveland ski area, southwest of "The Citadel" and northeast of Coon Hill. Hagar's southeast face offers many great snow climbs and ski descents. Perhaps the most aesthetic is the Boomerang Couloir, named by SP member iskibc. Boomerang Couloir should only be attempted during times of lowest avalanche danger, such as in the spring when the snowpack has consolidated.


Boomerang Couloir. Photo: Luke Kroiss

Getting There

Take exit 216 off of I-70. Follow a dirt road east on the north side of I-70 to a gate. With snow, you may not be able to drive to the gate. See GETTING THERE section on main page for more information.

Route Description

Follow Dry Gulch to the base of the Boomerang Couloir. During times of snow cover, it is best to stay in the base of the gulch, as indicated on the map. Climb the Boomerang Couloir to Hagar Mountain's north summit. About halfway up, there is a prominent kink. Head left (west) at this point. Once at the top of the couloir, scramble along the ridge to the higher south summit. Descend the southeast slopes or the Boomerang Couloir. The slope angle of the Boomerang Couloir approaches 40 degrees and is rated a D8 on the D Scale.


Boomerang Couloir via Dry Gulch

External Links

iskibc's Trip Report


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.