Bountiful XC

Bountiful XC

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

Are there any mountains up there?

Northern Wasatch has just been covered by mountagzelle's excellent Area page, but the users submissions are few, compared to the immensely popular higher parts of the Wasatch range to the South.

This album is but a small pretaste of what is going in this gentler part of the Wasatch, which is home to two county highpoints and some pretty good hiking / skiing destinations.

Bountiful Peak is a drive-through mountain in summer, but a good winter travel area, although fairly popular with the snowmobilers. The winter trailhead is at the junction of Thurston Peak Road and Skyline Drive. The parking lot is small and fills up quickly on weekends, but it is probably a blessing in disguise since it limits the number of snowmachines roaming the flats. Note that the winding dirt road up Farmington Canyon is making many people uncomfortable even in summer, and becomes considerably more challenging in winter. 4WD is a must.

XC Skiing and Geocaching combined?

Isn't one of them a summer activity, and the other a winter sport?

Well, Utah Geocachers made an xc ski / snowshoe tour of the Bountiful Peak area an annual event. Some years it went up Gold Ridge to the East, and others towards the crest of the Wasatch at Bountiful Ponds. The geocaches are not too hard to find if they are placed at South-facing ridgetops, or attached to the trees above the ground, but we've also had amazing successes spotting ground-level containers buried deep under snow.

External Links

Utah Geocachers Association 4th Annual Winter Gathering

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.