Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 1, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
After looking at Lost Creek Ridge on my wall map for a couple of years I decided it was time to go. I got up nice and early and made fast for Darrington. From town I followed the Mt.Loop hwy for about 16 miles untill arriving at the North Fork Sauk rd. (#49) I turned left here and drove another 3 miles to the trailhead on the left. It isn't much of a parking lot and there were already several cars crowding me out. I found my place along the side of the road, tightened up the laces and strapped on a very light day pack.
Red Mt
The trail begins passively enough at the beginning; following the valley floor through brush and trees, and then the switchbacks begin. What would the approach hike be without switchbacking through dark forested mountain slopes?
These only serve to warm up the leg and heart muscles to better enjoy the upper ridge. At 3 miles I came to a fork in the trail and found the left fork wound its way down to Round lake. I stayed on top of the ridge and followed it a couple more miles until I came to Sunup lake. At this point I realized I could have stayed on the main trail that traverses below the ridge, but what's fun about that? I did some class 3 downclimbing to get to the lake and then circled around its left side. There is a rocky peak directly upslope to the east of Sunup that looks like it could be Breccia, but its not. After scrambling towards it to get onto the ridge I realized I needed to head NE. Breccia sits at the N end of this ridge and has a nice walkup path leading to the top.

Even though there is nothing challenging about this peak, it was well worth the hike. I was impressed with the views and the area of Lost Creek Ridge. Will definitely be back up there one day.
Breccia peak

Glacier Peak

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Breccia PeakTrip Reports