Buckhorn Mountain (West Peak) - Olympic Mtns

Buckhorn Mountain (West Peak) - Olympic Mtns

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 1, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Add Heading Here

West Summit: 6988 ft

The hike up to Marmot Pass and Buckhorn West Peak is good to go. I encountered intermittent boot packed snow on the upper portions of the Big Quil Trail to Marmot pass and a few ankle deep wind drifts and thin ice on the ridge above Marmot Pass to Buckhorn. The ridge is quite broad, so it was easy to avoid ice by walking on snow covered bits or the little pockets of exposed ground. Getting up and down the top portion of Buckhorn (West Peak) is probably considered a class 2 scramble, but it is not exposed and is probably an ideal objective of those interested in trying out a very easy "scramble." I took an axe and crampons but did not use either. I recommend hiking poles and micro-spikes under current conditions. I didn't try the East Peak and can't speak to that.

Stats from WTA.org: car to Marmot Pass: 3500 ftgain, 6.25 mi. Marmot Pass to Buckhorn West Peak: ~900 ft gain, 1 mile.

Moving swiftly, it took me: 2 hours and 15 minutes from car to Marmot Pass, about another hour to the top of the west peak, and then 2 hours and 15 minutes from top of Buckhorn down to the car.

If I have time tonight I'll add some photos. Great view of Constance.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Buckhorn MountainTrip Reports