Burdell Mountain Northwest Ridge

Burdell Mountain Northwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.15662°N / 122.59546°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
West from Burdell Mtn.
West from Burdell Mtn. northwest ridge route



This is a loop hike in Mount Burdell Open Space Preserve up the northwest ridge of Burdell Mountain and back via established fire roads.

Getting There

 
Sonoma Mtn. from Burdell Mtn. summit
Burdell Mtn. summit view northeast
From Hwy. 101 in Novato take the San Marin exit west. Go  2  miles to San Andreas Dr.. Turn right and go about half mile to street parking by the trailhead.

Route Description

 
Cobblestone Fire Road Burdell Mtn.
Cobblestone Fire Road, west Burdell Mtn.
Take the San Andreas Fire Road north up into a flat meadow area where it makes a turn and comes to a junction at the Deer Camp Fire Road at about 1/2 mile from the trailhead. Go left on the Deer Camp Fire Road and follow 1  mile as it curves up to the right where you look for a narrow use trail that cuts back to the left across a steep open slope and in a short distance goes up to the northwest ridge. Take the obvious use trail along the ridge where it continues through an open meadow to the towers at the southwest high point. Continue across the open area and up the use trail to the northeast about 1/4 mile to the old rock wall summit area 1,558'.
Return down to the right via the Cobblestone Fire Road about 1 1/2 miles where it junctions with the Middle Burdell Fire Road and go right about 1/2 mile past the Deer Camp Fire Road junction and back on the San Andreas Fire Road.

The hike is approximately 5 miles round trip and 1,200 elevation gain.

Essential Gear

 
Burdell Mtn. south view
Burdell Mtn. south view
Water, snacks, windbreaker or raincoat if needed.

External links

Mount Burdell Open Space Preserve (with map).

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.