Burroughs Range Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.00840°N / 74.3469°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II YDS
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Directions to Woodland Valley Trailhead, fee charged in season, $4.00.

From Thruway Exit 19, Kingston - first right from traffic circle after leaving the exit, on to Route 28 West. Proceed 20-25 miles to the village of Phoenicia, which will be on your right. Proceed on Rte. 28. Cross the bridge, take the next left at the sign and then take the first right onto Woodland Valley Road. The campground is approximately 6 miles at the end of the road.

Route Description

The Trail starts in the campground between sites # 46 and 45. The trail is marked by Red Disks. Starting at the bridge over the Woodland Stream ( 42.03522N / -074.35776 W) head up in to the woods and to the left. The beginnig of the trail is steep and rocky. Sign in at the register at 0.2 miles. The trail is very steep and rocky for the irst mile and a quater.
The trail flattens out for the next mile and a half, it is still quite rocky. At 2.60 miles the trail intersects with the trail to Terrace Mt. ( 42.01876 N / 074.34038 W) Turn right . The trail is flat for a while and then starts to make the final climb via big switchbacks.
In this section of trail ther are two 10 to 15 foot high rock walls that require class III type skills. There is no exposure and the holds are quite big. ( 42.01482 N / 074.4535 W)
At 3.60 miles you cross the 3,500 ft elevation mark ( 42.01318 N / 074.34633 W ) The grade eases after this and flattes near the top.
At 3.90 miles you reach the summit, on a clear day one can see into Massachuestts. ( 42.00835 N / 074.34693 W )
Return same way.
Caution- When you sing out at the register, be sure to follow the trail back down. It goes to the left. I thought it went right and ended up a 1/8 miles down stream form my tent at Woodland Valley. What I thought was the trail used to be the old trail.

Essential Gear

Bring lots of water ther is not much water on this trail. For me 2 leiters was enough. Some might need more.
In winter Snowhoes / crampons are required and rope is recomended.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.