Cabeza de Manzaneda

Cabeza de Manzaneda

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.25724°N / 7.29818°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5843 ft / 1781 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ski resortski resort
Track of normal routetrack

The three most prominent peaks of the Massif Galaico-Leonés are Cabeza de Manzaneda (1,781 m), Peña Trevinca (2,127 m) and Teleno (2,188 m), but of these the first is the least interesting from a mountaineering point of view because it has a road that reaches the antennas located near the top. It does not help that its northern side is located a ski resort that has become too civilized.

However usually the station is often closed for winter use and open only as tourist use, in order to recover some of the investment, so you have enabled some trails and off-season activities. Interestingly, the climb with some snow, in the absence of machines for ice, the station does not usually allows skiing but you can enjoy easy walks, which in this case allowed across the tracks, but it certainly would recommend avoiding it if it's open for skiing.

The summit has some interest among collectors to be in the position 70 of the 100 most prominent peaks of the Iberian Peninsula.

Note: I didn't take good pictures of the peak because I climbed with a lot of fog after a big snowfall and a lot of my pictures were "white over white". If somebody have some pictures of the peak I will thank adding to page.

Getting There

The ski resort of Cabeza de Manzaneda is reached from the village of Proba de Trives, near of Ponferrada.


See bigger map

Red Tape

Paint of P.R. (small route)ski lift

The normal route goes from a ski resort and you can't walk over the tracks if it's in use for skiers.

Camping

I thing the area is not very interesting to camping.
You have apartments in th ski resort and a lot of hotels in Ponferrada, nice city with churchs and a Castle.

External Links

webcam: summit
Manzaneda ski resort

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.