Canyon Mountain Via Dean Creek

Canyon Mountain Via Dean Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.33685°N / 118.8887°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: easy class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

First, you will need to find your way to John day, Oregon.

From The junction of US Highway 26 and US Highway 395 in John Day, take US 395 south for approximately 2 miles. Turn left onto County road 52 (Marysville Road) in Canyon City. Drive 1.9 miles, and then take a right on County road 77. After approximately 0.3 mile, take another right on Forest Service Road 7700-333, where there is a sign for Canyon Mountain Trail #218. Drive approximately 2.7 miles uphill to somewhat of a four-way junction (the left turn will be slightly uphill) ignoring any less traveled side roads. At this point, you should have traveled 6.7 miles from the junction of US 26 and US 395. Turn left here and drive about 0.1 mile to the trailhead, where there is a brown forest service sign that says nothing. The coordinates for the trailhead are 44.3625°N, 118.9261°W (NAD27).

Route Description

From the trailhead, follow the trail through a forest of juniper and ponderosa pine passing a few small creeks. The forest will eventually change to a mix of lodgepole pine, ponderosa pine, and a few firs. After 2.2 miles, you will come to an open meadow with a nice view of the John Day Valley, and where wildflowers bloom after the snow melts. Continue on the trail, after about 5.5 niles, you will come to Dean Creek, where there are three or four good campsites and a good water source. From here, follow Dean Creek cross-country and uphill keeping right of Dean Creek, but within earshot of it for about half a mile to a saddle. From the Saddle, head right (northwest) along the ridge for 0.3 miles to the summit of Canyon Mountain, where you will find a summit register in a glass jar and a benchmark hidden within a cairn.

Essential Gear

none needed for a summer ascent.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.