Cascadian Golden Horn on Labor Day

Cascadian Golden Horn on Labor Day

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.60357°N / 120.73258°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 7, 2020
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

Parked off the Rainy Pass trailhead, started hiking at 0645.  1 hour and 4o minutes to Cuttthroat Pass, passed almost thirty various hikers coming back from Granite Pass and further along the PCT.  40 minutes with loss of elevation to Granite Pass, and another hour to the Snowy Lakes basin.  Rested and got some views of Mount Hardy and Tower Mountain before continuing a long class 3 trudge up the golden talus below the horn.  The last 100 feet was a mix of 4th and low 5th, I had to climb down a bit since I strayed to far to the southeast face at one point.  5 hours and 30 minutes to the top, I  didn't stand on the true summit, I tried to clib a handcrack on the south face of the block, and gave up halfway regrettably since I am a fool and decided to wear worn down water shoes and not bring my climbing shoes.  Descent wasn't too bad, but it was hot, at least 80 degrees so pretty hot for alpine weather.  5 and a half back to my car at Rainy Pass, 11 hours total time.  I'll come back for Tower Mountain and Mount Hardy soon, fingers crossed in the next few years!



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Norman

Norman - Sep 17, 2020 9:18 am - Voted 10/10

Golden Horn

Nice you posted... go ahead and add more photos for those of us chickens not getting out this year... or lazy poster boys... thanks again for taking the time to share you trip.

Jowzynkyn

Jowzynkyn - Sep 20, 2020 9:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Golden Horn

No prob Norman, I hope you get out to the mountains when you get the chance, the more remote the better for covid. I missed the wildfires by a few days, a week later and it would have been nasty

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Golden HornTrip Reports