Casner Canyon Trail #11

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.89135°N / 111.72134°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the 179/89A junction in Sedona go 2.6 miles Where you park at the mouth of a closed road. I'm pretty sure you can also park at the fish hatchery. I do believe that is where I parked when I did this hike.

You can also start at the Schnebly Hill Vista by driving up Schnebly Hill Road to the Vista. The trail is on the other side of the fence and is not marked. You will have to search for it.

Route Description

This trail takes you 2 miles up to the top of the Colorado Plateau on the east side of the canyon. The trail it'self runs diaganal up Casner Canyon. From the bottom of Schnebly Hill Road it looks like a road working it's way up to the top of the plateau. This trail was built in the 1890's by the Casner ranching operation as a livestock trail.

Follow the path down to Oak Creek and wade across the creek. The water is cold and about 2 feet deep. I do believe that if yuo park at the fish hatchery you have to wade across the creek. This hike is fully exposed in the sun the whole way so do not hike this on a hot day. You are hiking through the shrubs and bushes, but there are very few trees to keep you shaded.

For a little bit of a more interesting hike, when Schnebly hill road is closed in the winter, hike up Schnebly hill Road to the vista on top and hike down Casner Canyon Trail. You will have to have a shuttle vehicle for this hike.

Essential Gear

This is a basic trail, so there is really no extra equipment to hike with.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.