Castle Moat

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.00970°N / 106.8608°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep Snow
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Follow highway 82 west through Aspen to a a roundabout where you will turn onto Castle Creek Rd. Follow Castle Creek Rd for 11 miles to Ashcroft (winter closure). Continue 1.9 miles to a Y where you will take the right fork onto Pearl Pass Rd. 2 wheel drive parking is 0.7 miles further at 9800ft. Continue 3.2 miles on Pearl Pass Road to another fork. Continue left on Pearl Pass to the last Castle Creek intersection at 11280ft. Leave the road and follow Castle Creek drainage to the obvious deep couloir at the north end of Castles Northeast Ridge. It is very obvious how this gully got the name of Castle Moat.
Castle Moat

Route Description

Climb the snow slope to the base of the couloir. The walls tower over you as you enter the couloir. The right wall is angled just enough to keep the couloir shaded a bit longer than the rest of Castles east face. The max angle is 48 degrees. The angle does ease as the couloir widens at the top. You'll want to head to the left for a more direct route to the Northeast Ridge Route which you will follow the rest of the way to Castles summit. Your descent options would be the the Northeast Ridge Route or the Northwest Ridge Route.

Essential Gear

Ice axe, crampons and helmet. Snowshoes or skis may be very helpful for the approach.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that does not pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.