Castle Rock Spire Classic Route

Castle Rock Spire Classic Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.09734°N / 109.64238°W
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Castle Rock Spire is very remote and should only be attempted by climbers with experience.

Getting There

See my individual route description of how to get to Castle Rock Spire.

Route Description

Castle Rock Spire RouteMy route to the summit.
This route description is only for the route I took and what I consider to be the easiest route.

The orange route is the standard route to the saddle. The route to the saddle isn't too technically difficult. For experience climbers it's usually done with out a rope or go together on a short rope.

The route from the saddle to the summit is indicated by the red line. There are various routes of different difficulties. I believe my route is the easiest. The traverse across for the most part would be rated approximately 5.5. There is a chimney climb I did near the summit which I would rate about a 5.6 difficulty.

Once you've summited and made it back to the saddle between the Spire and Castle Rock Mountain I would then rappel down instead of downclimbing the traverse.

Castle Rock Spire Rappel RouteMy rappel route down from the saddle.

Essential Gear

Gear to reach the peak includes and ice axe and crampons.
Gear to climb the spire includes, but is not limited to all the gear you would usually use to climb a 5.6 / 5.7 route.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.