Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.54000°N / 100.3°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5905 ft / 1800 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Cerro Cuadrado is one of many peaks in the Sierra del Fraile range about 25 miles to the northwest of the city of Monterrey. It is located on the eastern end of this Sierra just north of the higher Pico San Miguel; when viewed from the east or the west it`s shape resembles a square ("cuadrado" in spanish) with almost vertical sides and flat at the summit top.
It`s a fairly easy walk-up with a class 3 scramble on the last stretch, so many locals climb it. The trail starts in the brush covered Fraile valley and climbs up trough a pine forest covered area and over a narrow ridge before actually getting to the base of Cuadrado, wich was ravaged by a wildfire in 1999.
The views from the narrow summit are very picturesque, and include the whole Sierra del Fraile to the north, east and west, where the impressive Cerro del Sapo rises at the other end of the valley; the Monterrey valley can be seen to the southeast with the Cerro de la Silla on the far east side.

Getting There


From downtown Monterrey take highway 40 to Saltillo, a few miles ahead in Santa Catarina, make a right turn at Cuauhtëmoc ave. wich turns into Donaldo Colosio ave. and later into the highway to Villa de García, wich lies 12 miles ahead. Drive trough the town and then on to the Grutas de García (caverns) entrance 5 miles down the road, once there, keep driving forward on the dirt road and take the road to the right on the next "Y" intersection and drive a litlle more following the big blue water pipes to the end of the line, at this point the trail starts winding up the slopes to the north with Cerro Cuadrado to the east, once up in the pine forest (Mesa de los Pinos) there is a "Y" split, take the trail on the right and keep going up and then on to the narrow ridge. Hike past the ridge trough another forested area and then scramble up the steep slopes to the rocky summit about 800 ft above.

Red Tape


This Sierra is part of the Cumbres de Monterrey National Park but no permits are required to climb it.

When To Climb


From Fall to Spring, October - April.

Camping


There are some decent flat spots on the top of the first ridge in the forest, but not many camp out there since the round trip only takes about five and a half to six hours.

Mountain Conditions


The only way to get info about the mountain is inquirig locally at Villa de García.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mountains of Nuevo LeónMountains & Rocks