Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.06831°S / 69.40175°W
Additional Information County: Tupungato
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13832 ft / 4216 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The southern most peak of the Cordon del Plata. This peak is not as well traveled as the others in the range, since they all typically begin from the Las Veguitas valley. From the large ranch at the western end of the town of Valle de Sol, there is a ridge hike or the possibility of following the river to the Laguna del Platita just under the peak. Neither trail is well marked. Both are full day hikes. Expect 14-16 hours without gear if attempting round trip in a single day, including the hour it takes to walk along the road from town.

There is no water along the ridge hike after you lose site of the river at the start. Once near the top a detour down to the laguna will be slow trekking because of very loose sliding rocks.

Getting There

Exit Ruta 7 at Potrerillos. Instead of the regular Cordon del Plata trail head near the Vallecitos ski area, begin at the town of Valle de Sol. Take the same road to the ski area, but go past the regular turn off from avenida de los Cóndores for Las Vegas to continue along Avenida del Sol until you arrive.

Bus from the Terminal de Ómnibus de Mendoza. Bus company Expreso Uspallata has 1-2 daily trips to Piedras Blancas and Valle de Sol. This is a local bus which will take almost 2 hours from Mendoza city. There are several hostels and other housing in both of these towns.

Red Tape

There is a road that leads through a private ranch to the base of both the river and ridge hikes. Suggested $5ar pesos PP to the owner at house. Perhaps, with permission, you can arrive to the house by car to eliminate the hour walk from town.

Camping

No organized or heavily used camping. Opportunities for tenting along the ridge hike, or just under the peak at the Laguna del Platita.
Laguna del PlatitaLaguna del Platita

Approximate Trail Map (hand drawn on Google Earth)

External Links

Estimated route hand drawn with Google Earth. Preview if plug-in installed

Hostel near last bus stop

External site with road map of Potrerillos and Valle de Sol, and another here

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cordon del PlataMountains & Rocks