Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 16.34699°S / 68.12913°W
Additional Information County: Cordillera Real
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 17700 ft / 5395 m
Sign the Climber's Log
I got lucky

This page will be maintained in honour of Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt, the member we all used to know as Parofes, passed away on May 10th-2014.

Cerro Chacaltaya
From the andean club.

Chacaltaya is a mountain in Bolivia with an elevation of 5.395 meters and a view of Lake Titicaca in the distance. The glacier - which was as old as 18,000 years – had in 1940 an area of 0.22 km², reduced to 0.01 km² in 2007 and was completely gone by 2009. Half of the meltdown was done before 1980 (measured in volume). The final meltdown after 1980, due to missing precipitation and the warm phase of El Niňo, resulted in its final disappearance in 2009. 


The glacier was located about 30 kilometers from La Paz, near Huayna Potosí mountain. It has been claimed that this was one of the glacial ranges to decrease markedly in size due to climate change. Whether the meltdown was caused by global warming or a natural variation in the local climate around Chacaltaya is still a point of debate.

I was lucky to find some snow up there last year, if you go now, maybe you wont be as lucky as me.
 
 
Disappearing glacier
Disappearing glacier

The glacier on Chacaltaya served back in the day as Bolivia's only ski resort. It was the world's highest lift-served ski area, the northernmost ski area in South America as well as the world's most equatorial. The rope tow, the very first in South America, was built in 1939 using an automobile engine; it was notoriously fast and difficult, housed in the site's original clapboard lodge and is now inoperable. 
The road to the base of the drop is reached by a narrow road, also built in the 1930s. Traditionally, due to the extreme cold weather, the lift operated exclusively on weekends from November to March. 
 
Chacaltaya North Summit Panorama
Chacaltaya North Summit Panorama
 
As of 2009, skiing is restricted to a 180 m stretch that sometimes receives sufficient snowfall for a run during the winter. The mountain is also popular with mountaineers in aclimatization process, as the road stops only 95 vertical meters from the summit.
 
 
 
 

Getting There

Chacaltaya

Close to the summit
Take a taxi from La Paz to the andino club.

If you go with your own car, go up to the highest part of La Paz, ask for directions to Chacaltaya, everyone knows, it is quite easy to get there.

ADDITIONAL INFO in sep 1st, 2010:

The user thexcat left me an important information about transport to the mountain:

"Buses to Chacaltaya
Nice page! For some reason, the Chacaltaya page was taken down several months ago. Good to see it is back up
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Red Tape

No fees no permits required

Meteo

Meteoblue Nevado Chacaltaya

 




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cordillera Real (Bolivia)Mountains & Rocks