Charleston Peak, NV December North Loop Trip

Charleston Peak, NV December North Loop Trip

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 16, 2006
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

12/16/2006

I Left the North Loop Trailhead on 12/16 @ 2000 hours. It was a beautiful night and I only needed the dim setting on my headlamp to navigate. I stopped for the night at the locally famous "Raintree".
Mt. Charleston, NVGetting an early start at "The Raintree"

I left the raintree at about 0700. I know that's a little late, but I did hike in pretty late.
Mt. Charleston, North loop TrailThe North Loop Trail just past Trail Canyon Junction.
It looked like it was going to be a beautiful day....but the forecast had said otherwise!
Oh...This is gonna leave a mark!The storm looked like a wall coming straight for me!
So, at this point I decided it would be in my best interests to find a nice, protected spot and ride it out. Cave Spring, a favorite watering hole for hikers and animals alike, was just a bit farther, so I made my way there and got my tent set up just in time! The remainder of the night was spent in my tent listening to my Ipod........and the freight train passing by outside.
 You are here Fooling around in my tent. 12/16/06
]
 Quality Time Listening to tunes and waiting out the storm. 12/16/06

12/17/06

Well, I wonder what mother nature left us in the night......
The best thing to wake up to in the Mountains.......POWDER!!!First look outside. 12/17/06

There are worse ways to wake up on a day off :)Beautiful!!!
The storm left 2 to 3ft. of snow in spots so the better part of the day was spent snowshoeing back out the North Loop. On the way down, I ran into some folks from The Las Vegas Mountaineers Club. Great bunch of folks! I look forward to joining!
Mt. Charleston, NVWOW!!!!!

Well, I didn't make it up to Charleston Peak this time, but it was a treat to get to be there for that storm anyway!!!!! See ya on the mountain!

Comments

No comments posted yet.