Circo de Ip

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.74020°N / 0.4551°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: F+ (Fácil Superior, Grade I+)-easy sup.
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the main page to approach to village of Canfranc.
Trailhead: in the little bridge at the exit of the village (Puente de Peregrinos).

Note about track to GPS: it includes the climb of Punta Escarra after Pala de Ip

Route Description

Slope: 1770meters!
Time: 4h45min to summit.

First section to Ibon de Ip:
slope: 1000m.
time: 2h 30min.

The itinerary of Ibon de Ip is the same for the mountains of the cirque, you must to consult the route of first section in the page of Collarada

Second section-to the summit:
slope: 770m.
time: 2h 15 min
total to summit: 1770m (4h45min)

Some meters before the dam of Ip, in the area of the huts, we leave the route of Collarada (east) and we turn to north side for some terraces to reach across a terrain of grass and rocks the bottom of the wide corridor (some cairns). In the wide corridor the snow remain in spring but the slope is not hard. Without snow the effort is bigger with a lot of stones. After a long time we reach the upper side of corridor. In this point, with the peaks of Tronquera in left side, we turn to right (east) to reach the west ridge. The beggining is an edge of rocks and the use of the hands is neccesary (grade I). The ridge is a little exposed but easy. After the first section we can walk in the south side (without snow) or near of the edge (with snow in the hillside). The ramps go to some great blocks of stones and finally we see the cone of the summit.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice axe are necessary in winter and generally early in the season (may, june), july-september (summer) is a good season without snow but the wide corridor had a lot of stones. Personally I prefer the springtime reaching the upper side of the corridor (“canchalera”) with crampons in the snow that remain but the access of the final ridge is more exposed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.