Clariden one day trip from Klausenpaß

Clariden one day trip from Klausenpaß

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 3, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Sport Climbing, Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer
Clariden in first sunlight
Clariden
Windgällen
Iswändli
Tödi ...
Ascent to foresummit


I wanted to go for a tour last weekend with SP member Sebastian Hamm, but since he will marry Katrin this weekend he couldn’t manage it, because of too much organisation left.

SP member Schmid_th also asked Sebastian under the week before, so Sebastian gave him the advice to call me.

After sorting out the weather report it was pretty clear, that the western Alps were a better idea than the eastern Alps. We also didn’t want to drive to far and Saturday’s proposal for weather was rather unstable with great weather forecasted on Sunday.

The plan was driving in Saturday evening, sleeping in or in front of the car and climbing up to Clariden in a one day tour from Klausenpaß on Sunday, returning to Stuttgart the same day.

The drive only took us something more than 3 hours, which was pretty fast. When we arrived at Klausenpaß we found a small chapel with a roof in front to be the best place to sleep. After an hour in our sleeping bags it started to rain and the wind was blowing the wetness under that chapel’s roof, so we moved into my car.

Next morning we started in clouds, but rising up we soon came out of the clouds and could see today’s goal for the first time.
The ascent from Klausenpaß goes over meadows first and reaches a rocky ridge soon. The ridge leads to the beginning of the glacier, called “Iswändli” at the connecting passage. At the beginning of the glacier we met a group that was on the decent and started from Planura hut that day.

The glacier was still in good conditions and it is likewise to go in big circle to the right after climbing the ice-wall (Iswändli) to avoid some crevasses. Reaching the glacier plateau nice views over the huge basin of “Hüfifirn” and to the mighty summit of the Tödi open up.
An icy ridge leads to a bad in shape and loose rock ridge that goes up to the fore summit.
Clariden
Point 3155
Clariden



From there a short decent leads to another snow-ice ridge, that connects the main summit. The final passage goes up the rocky east-ridge to the main summit that is secured by a lot of metal and some chains at the exposed passages.


Arriving at the summit I was alone, followed by Thomas shortly after.
Clariden summitcross
The sea of clouds had been getting drowned by the sun during our ascent, so here and there a deep view into the valleys was possible.
Clariden summit panorama

Clariden summit panorama
Urnerboden
Schächental
Flowers and green  gras
Flowers and green  gras



The weather was clearing up, so there was no need to hurry. Passing down the "Iswändli" could be done without problems.

We took our time on the way down and enjoyed the deep views into the now visible valleys of Urnerboden and Schächental.

In the lower passages we enjoyed beautiful alpine flowers and green gras.

Back at the car we decided to stop by during our drive home at Vierwaldstätter See (in my opinion the most beautiful lake in the Alps). It was too hot in the valleys already. After driving only 30 minutes we jumped into the cold water (16 degrees Celsius). It took some time to get in, but felt refreshing once we made it.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Aug 7, 2008 11:58 am - Voted 10/10

nice report!

... and some nice memories for me as I did this route as my latest ski tour on June 22nd. I admit that I don't like this outdoor car-sleeping as I did a decade ago - so we took lodging in the quite pittoresque Hotel Klausenpas nearby.

Nikman

Nikman - Aug 7, 2008 1:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice report!

I am not the biggest fan of outdoor or car-sleeping myself, but when you arrive at 10pm and want to get up at 5am I may do it for a single night. A hotel is for sure an alternative, but it makes you pay the full price for a bed inside a room with toilet and shower you don't really use in 7 hours :-)

June 22nd, how far did you carry the ski?

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Aug 7, 2008 3:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: nice report!

okay, so late, now I understand..
We carried ski in June not very far, but far too often. Nevertheless it was a great trip. I made a trip report for www.gipfeltreffen.at, but I can also post it here.

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Aug 9, 2008 2:36 am - Voted 10/10

Re: nice report!

Plaisir-Bergsteiger!

;-)

Ivona

Ivona - Aug 11, 2008 1:43 pm - Voted 10/10

very nice report!!

and panoramas..it seems to be very peaceful amd wild area..,lovely!!

Nikman

Nikman - Aug 11, 2008 3:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: very nice report!!

I'm happy, you like it!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ClaridenTrip Reports