Coffin Lookout Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.62150°N / 122.0443°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section of the main page for directions to the trailhead.

Route Description

From the trailhead marked Coffin Lookout Trail No. 3392, follow the somewhat-overgrown trail a few hundred yards where it will turn left and looks more like a normal trail. An old bulldozer path continues on where you curve left but it is obvious which fork to take. The old path is overgrown. The correct path heads up the south side of the mountain to where it almost gains the summit ridge. A few switchbacks through grassy slopes leads to a spot just on the southeast side of the ridge. From here, it gently creeps up to the ridge further north. It goes into some trees and passes through beargrass and comes out just before the lookout on the north summit.

Descend the same trail. The sign at the trailhead says it is 2.1 miles to the lookout, Sullivan's guidebook says it is 1.5. I came up with just under 1.5 and 1000 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear

None needed except water. The lookout staff can not share any of their supply.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.