Cold Springs Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.36520°N / 117.75900°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I/II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route from the West leads up Cold Springs Canyon, then follows an unnamed ridge over North Desatoya Twin to the true summit on South Twin. This way is longer than the Rock Creek Ridges route, but also considerably easier.

Getting There

From Fallon, follow U.S. 50 east to the junction with Old U.S. 50 at Middlegate. From this junction, proceed 12.3 miles east to a small dirt road on the right leading through a gate. (This is the first road on the right after a road with an interpretive sign.) Pass through the gate (be sure, as always, to close the gate behind you) and follow this rough road. The road does not absolutely require 4WD, but decent clearance is essential. Stay on the main road, and stay to the left at the only significant fork in the road. At 2.0 miles the road tops out at about 6200 feet and begins to drop into Cold Springs Canyon. Park here.

Route Description

From the mouth of Cold Springs Canyon, continue along the road into the canyon. Soon the road ends, but there is a good stock trail that has been well maintained (there is evidence that someone has been in here to cut back the brush). Follow this trail generally east along the canyon bottom for about 2.5 miles to an elevation of 7220'. From here the trail crosses the creek and begins to ascend south into an open area. I'm not sure if the trail continues along the canyon from here, but we left the trail and began ascending out of the canyon toward the ridgeline. We switchbacked up through an open area of sagebrush and occasional rock slides to the ridge at 8200 feet. We headed generally southeast along the mostly open ridgecrest, passing over false summits at 8581', 8902', and 9056'. We headed for the 9100' saddle at the base of North Twin and headed over the 9965' North Twin, turned south, lost about 100 feet of elevation, and then climbed to the highpoint on South Twin. The total distance is about 6.5 miles, one way.

Essential Gear

Lots of water and sunscreen. We hiked it in January, so we found gaiters to be very useful. We brought snowshoes, but we found them unnecessary.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.