Collado del Medio

Collado del Medio

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.63716°N / 0.64938°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Because great part of the route and approach it's the same of Aneto from La Besurta (1890m). I don't rewrite the route and I only show the last part of the climb.

Getting There

Approach to Benasque from Huesca: in the road on direction to Barbastro (N-240). After Barbastro we'll follow the indication to valley of Benasque to the C-1311 to Graus and the C-139 to Benasque across the beautiful gorge of Congosto de Ventanillo.

Llanos de la Besurta (1890m), it's near the Hospital de Benasque and refuge of La Renclusa in the North of Maladeta. Trailhead as well to Aneto, Maldito, Maladeta, Tuc de Mulleres...

La Besurta is easy of reach from Benasque following to Hospital de Benasque and taking the road signalled on the right side before the descent to Hospital.

Route Description

The first part is the same of normal route of Aneto from Portillones, you must read the route to reach the glacier of Aneto:
Portillón Superior.
Collado del MedioCollado del Medio

On the glacier of Aneto we'll continue the path in the snow (Spring) or the sea of stones (last Summer or early Autumn) in direction to Aneto. The point to leave the route of Aneto is the place where we'll see the col between Coronas and Pico del Medio. The col is small but is very visible. We'll walk some zig-zags in the snow, normally without foot prints but it's possible what somebody used this route as descent from Aneto and Coronas and it's possible to be lucky with the desviation but it's not frequent. The last part of the ramp can have a few of ice in the last days of summer but it's always without rimaya and the access is ever possible to the small col.
On the collado del Medio (3268m) we'll turn to left side searching the best climb among the big blocks of stone always out of the edge walking on the South side. After some easy rock climbs (F) we'll reach the summit of Pico Coronas (3293m) with a great view of Aneto (3404m).

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice-axe all the year.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.