Collins Spring to the Narrows

Collins Spring to the Narrows

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This was a relatively easy trail to hike but getting to the trailhead required a little bit of time and a high-clearance vehicle to negotiate the bumpy "road." I put road in quotation marks because at times it was nothing more than a route across slick-rock mottled with pot-holes. It was a bumpy ride to say the least! After the trip we dubbed my pickup truck "Slick" which was short for slick-rock.

The trailhead is signed and there is also register to sign in on. The trail is easy to follow and provides easy access to Grand Gulch. I hiked it with my friend Andrew back in the fall of 2000 and we did not see anybody else there. We hiked to the narrows and then back again. On the way we saw a small arch, several pot holes filled with water, and we enjoyed the spectacular scenery of colorful canyon walls rising above the meandering watercourse. We saw some Ancestral Puebloan Ruins but were unable to reach them due to their precariously high perch. They must've had ladders to reach them themselves.

Anyway, I hope to return some day to explore more of this beautiful area.

Getting There

Access to the Collins Spring is from Highway 95. From the Kane Ranger Station head towards Hwy 95 north for ~4 miles, then take a left on Hwy 95 (west). Drive west on Hwy 95 for ~9.5 miles, then at the junction with Hwy 276 take a left and head southwest for ~6.5 miles and the Collins Spring turn-off on your left. After the turn-off, travel ~2.4 miles to a fork in the road, at the fork stay right. After another ~4 miles you will arrive at the Collins Spring trailhead (there is a sign).

Table of Contents
Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.