Copper Dick Mine

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 31.84170°N / 108.4534°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot, start walking south up the road. You’ll soon reach the abandoned Copper Dick Mine. Continue on the road as it climbs up the mountain. At one point, the road descends about 40’ or so, but you don’t need to descend with it. Instead, you can turn right and climb straight up the slope, where you will soon intersect the road above you. Continue up the road until it ends somewhere around 6,000’.

From the end of the road, you will see a faint climbing path. Start up the climbing path and head for the northwest ridge above you. The path ends just below the ridge, but just keep climbing up to the ridge at 6,200’. Point 6,572 will be right above you at this point. Once on the northwest ridge, you will see a fairly obvious climbing path that traverses along the right side of Point 6,572. Start up the path as it makes an ascending traverse to a 6,400’ saddle between Point 6,572 and Point 6,578. Continue on the path as it traverses along the right side of Point 6,578 to another 6,400’ saddle between Point 6,578 and Hachita Peak. The traverse along the sides of Points 6,572 and 6,578 isn’t hard, but it’s a little tricky. There are some thorny plants along the path, and the surface of the path is uneven with a lot of loose rock. You’re almost certain to slip in a few places. From the saddle, make the final push up fairly easy slopes to the summit, where you can enjoy the views.

Hiking Distance: About 5 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 1,500’.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.