Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00312°N / 116.41143°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 23, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter

Corral Creek

Departed at 8:26AM from 3260 FT to attempt to summit @ 5874FT. Out of the 7 in our party we had 3 Skiers/Snowboarders, 3 Novice climber hikers and me, a 48 year old washed up used to be something. Upon advise of Sean Duffy (Idaho SummitPoster Stud) and Clarence Dishner (Gem County Search and Rescue), we strapped on snowshoes and started up the west side jeep road named Corral Creek that goes all the way to the summit. For those of you that are used to hiking 15 miles in snowshoes we have a real appreciation for your conditioning.

Having said that, besides being older and one of us being heavier than they should be, we really were surprisingly in good enough shape for this trip. We all stated that we need to be in much better shape on our next adventure, which could be real soon.

We learned a lot about ourselves. One thing when you have a team of this size and 3 of them are teenagers, you really have to reel them in and stay focused. This proved at least on my part and Chris to have prevented us from toe kicking 200 more feet to the summit ridge and accomplishing what we set out to do.

This is a much gentler route as Sean Duffy states, but longer probably than it has to be. Now by all accounts, we are beginners and this was the perfect way to go!

So it took us 4 hours 51 minutes to get to the 4800 FT level to start our much disorganized summit push. Several of us were tired of hiking up the jeep road and were ready to try to climb to the top. Matt’s son Chase and my son Tanner, two of the three 15 year olds we had with us made the Fire Lookout tower @ 5874FT. Matt and Dan made it on the summit ridge @ 5628FT and Chris and myself accomplished 5400FT with Spencer finishing just a tad below 5250FT.

We all agreed that if we try the Squaw again, we will toe kick up the mellower section of the south side from Spring Creek Road and take our time.

Anyone wanting an adventure, this truly is as easy or as hard as you want it to be. We have the bug now and will continue to study, practice and get into better shape.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Squaw ButteTrip Reports