Corredor Watade (Watade Couloir)

Corredor Watade (Watade Couloir)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.69800°N / 0.3769°W
Additional Information Route Type: Alpine-Winter route with sections of difficult ice
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: (250m, TD, 90º Ice, Vsup Rock) +400 easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Pau take the road to Ossau valley, after the road pass of Portalet follow down the Tena valley. 20 km after, take the road to "Piedrafita de Jaca". From there take the dirt road for 1,5 km to a big farm. Driving on from that point is not allowed. There is a place for vivaquing. Now walking, follow the dirt road for an hour. When reached a stream, leave the road and follow a trail to the left that reaches the Piedrafita lake. Follow the normal route going south with some steep sections on the way to Cavichirizas col. Once at the base of the last steep section go right un up to go around the Navarros´ Spur to reach the star of the couloir.

Route Description


It is an obvious line, follow first ice-snow of 55º and then 2-3 pitches of 85º-90º ice and a short section of V+ of rock. The rest is easier ramps of 50º-60º and M3. It joins the normal route at Cavichirizas col, that is reached by a exposed traverse. From that point to the summit with out difficulties. Descent via the normal route.

Essential Gear


Ice axes, crampons, 4 ice-crews, 6 pegs, some nuts and friends. Do not forget the Helmet.

Recomended season


January until March. ATTENTION !!!!! Due to its eastwards orientation it is not very often in good shape. It is mandatory a very early start with very cold temperatures.

First Ascention


Climbers: Pedro Álvarez, Gorka Hernández, Javier López and Adolfo Madinabetia. Date: January 30th, 1983

Books & Magazines


.- PIRINEOS, "Ascensiones en Mixto, Nieve y Hielo" by: Francis Mousel. Published by ediciones Desnivel 1997. ISBN: 84-89969-17-5

Information



All info gathered by:
Jonás Cruces
Mountain Guide & Rock + Ice Climbing Instructor

This is his website: www.todovertical.com



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.