Crescent Peak via N. Crescent Peak Road

Crescent Peak via N. Crescent Peak Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.47610°N / 115.128°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route is much more scenic than hiking Crescent Peak from Crescent Peak Road. Hiking it from the North you can see the whole peak and ridge almost the whole way hiking up to the ridge. This route does require 4WD though the last part of the drive in.


Getting There

Crescent Peak BLM MapBLM land around Crescent Peak.
From Las Vegas drive South on I-15. Go across the state line into California for 9.8 miles turning East at the Nipton Road exit (Joshua Tree Highway). The state Line is 13.4 miles. After the state line drive another 1.2 miles to North Crescent Peak Road., At North Crescent Peak Road go south for one mile. You will come to a section with 3 forks. (There is a “No Trespassing” sign but it is for properties down the middle and left forks. Thanks to MoapaPk I have attached the Clark County BLM land map for the Crescent Peak area confirming this is an ok route). Turn right and take the right fork. Drive for another 0.5 miles and you will be at the bottom of a hill. Drive straight along the road up and over the hill (don’t turn left off of this road!). After another 0.1 miles you’ll be at the bottom of the hill. Drive another 0.6 miles (this section you’ll need 4WD). Park at a little outset on the right. The coordinates for the parking spot is 35º 28.519N and 115º 9.324W.

Route Description

The stating elevation is about 4,576 feet. The Peak is to the SE. From the parking location, about 100 yards to the South there is a wash that heads SW. Take this wash. It curves around to the peak after about 0.2 miles. There are some rocks on the left side of the wash. At 0.3 miles take the right fork (main wash). At 0.4 miles take the left fork. At 0.5 miles take the left fork. At 0.6 miles take the left fork again. Go about 100 yards and turn left. There is a log 50 yards into the wash crossing the whole wash (there was when I did this route). After 0.8 miles head towards the saddle out of the wash onto a road heading towards the peak again. After 0.9 miles you will have a view of the peak along this road. At 1.0 miles into the hike stay on the road and you will hike up through a little canyon. At 1.2 miles start going up the rocks in the wash. Keep hiking through the wash heading towards the saddle. (Note: there may be ice in the wash in the winter). At 1.4 miles turn right up onto the ridge and follow the ridge along the left side all the way to the summit. It is 2.0 miles total to the summit.

Once you’ve spent time on the summit, signed the register, and are ready to return start hiking down the ridge. Once you get to the saddle, about 0.5 miles down from the summit, start going up the ridge in front of you. After 0.6 miles from the summit turn right and start going down back into the wash. At 0.7 miles down you should be at 35 º 28.377N and 115 º 8.289W. At 0.8 miles down you’ll hit the end of the wash on the North side from the ridge (saddle). Keep hiking straight ahead and after 1.1 miles down from the summit you’ll be back at the road you hiked up through. The coordinates here are 35 º 28.496N and 115 º 8.569W. At 1.5 miles (from the summit) you’ll come to another road. Turn right down this road back to the parking spot.

Essential Gear

Good hiking boots. Some long pants and gloves would be good to avoid the brush and stickers on the plants along the way.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.