Cross Country from Bell Road

Cross Country from Bell Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.17072°N / 111.70567°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

From Hwy 60 (Superstition Freeway), take the Higley Road exit and drive south on Higley road as far as it goes and turns in to Hunt Highway.  From Hunt Highway, go East past Power Rd until you see Bell Rd as your 2nd right after power and turn right on Bell Rd. Follow Bell Road until the road turns to dirt and there is a white gate shortly afterward.  Start your cross country trek from there!

For those that want to start at an official trailhead and take on more mileage, you from the Dynamite trailhead and follow the trail for a bit until starting the cross country from there. 

Route Description

Start at the end of either Bell Road or Wagon Wheel Road and route find your way almost directly west to the summit.  It's pretty easy to see your target and find your way.  The attached GPX file can help guide you.   Staying farther north and going up the draw to the north and east of the peak to the summit is the better option than going past and coming up from the south although both work.

From the parking area at the very south end of Bell Road, you will have to go through or around the gate and then turn to your right (2 O'Clock) which will point you directly toward the summit.  There are some dirt paths to follow for short amounts of time, but none will take you very direct so you can follow the path of least resistance while aiming for the peak.  Depending on the route you take, you may encounter a few barbed wire fences.   Eventually you will find your way to the drainage that heads up to the saddle south of the peak.  After ascending the drainage for a while it starts to get steep.  About halfway up, it is easier to take the drainage on your right before the peak to attain the ridge and then when you get the ridge, take it on your left up to the summit. 

Alternatively, you can just follow the drainage all the way to the saddle, and then hang a right straight up to the summit, but this requires more scrambling among Cacti.  It is a pretty gnarly, but fun scramble in places.  

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.