Dalmunzie Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 56.86774°N / 3.56163°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Dalmunzie Route involves a long day out across remote country. From the hotel walk up the private shooting track to the ruins of Glelochsie Lodge, a former shooting lodge. from there you have a choice to either break up the heather slope to Creag Bhreac and follow this spur up walking on springy turf or follow the track up the spur of Bhreac Reidh which leads onto the top after swinging east, in winter care must be taken to avoid the cornices which often grow on the lip of Coire Glas Mhor.

upper reaches of Glas Coire Mhor



To reach the summit should take between between 3 and 4 hours if you are moving at a good pace (9.5km). From the summit you can decend the same way you came or follow the coire lip down to Lochan nan Eun where a path can be picked up leading down the steep gully to the shooting track in Gleann Taitneach and the long walk out. The advantage of this is that the coirres of Glas Tuliachaen can be seen in their full glory and the amazing tor of Carn Bhinnein across the Glen can be seen.

Lochan nan Eun


The advantages of Bhreac Reidh are that views to the west are better and there are good views across to Beinn a'Ghlo and beyond to the Ben Alder massif.


Essential Gear

The usual gear must be applied to this walk. Waterproofs are neccisities even in good weather as it can change like that...this is Scotland after all. In Winter the author would recommend an ice axe and crampons just as precautions.


External Links

Links for this route can be found on the Glas Tuliachean page.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.