Dark Hallow Area Aproach Trail

Dark Hallow Area Aproach Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.39200°N / 74.117°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From I 87 (NYS Thru-Way) take Exit 16 and follow signs for Statr Road 32 North.
Follow Rt. 32 for about 7.4 miles to Mountainville.
Turn Left on to Orange County Road 79. About 700 feet later turn left on to Taylor Road.
The Trail Head is on your right about a 1/4 mile later.

This trail is almost a mile long and provides acess to the Jessup Trail, The Highlands Trail, and the trails in the Dark Hallow area.
The entire length of this trail in located in private property. The landowners have given permission for hikers to cross their land, please respect any posted signs by the landowners.


Route Description


Starting from the trail head cross the road and a stream and enter a field. The path of the trail has been mowed in to the grass to make it easier to follow because there are few blazes.
At about 0.25 miles you will reach a house. Turn right on a farm road and cross over a chain.
At 0.4 miles the trail turns left. The Jessup Trail and the The Highlands Trail continue straight.
Continue straight on the farm road. There are other roads that go to the right. DO NOT TAKE THEM.
At 0.7 miles the trail is very close to I-87 and enters the woods and swings right.
The trail then climbs 120 ft. to the railroad tacks. Once you cross the tracks you are off private land and on state land. The Sweet Clover Trail starts directly oppisite the end of the Aproach Trail.
To reach the Dark Hallow Trail turn left and walk down the tracks untill you reach the black blazes that start the Dark Hallow Trail.

Essential Gear


Basic dayhike gear. bring plenty of water since there are few sources and watch out for trains.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.