Delisted HPS Summits Round Up, San Bernardino Mtns.

Delisted HPS Summits Round Up, San Bernardino Mtns.

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 16, 2008

Overview

After my trip to Table Mountain earlier in the week I decided to continue with another trip to delisted or dead summits of the Hundred Peaks List. I wanted to visit it Heaps Peak, Strawberry Peak LO, and Jobs Peak. Jobs was the only one that I had not visited before so I was very curious about the situation there after all these years.

Jobs Peak


Jobs Peak is near the town of Cedarpines and was delisted in 1960 when housing development overran it's forested summit. I wasn't sure if the summit would be discernible after all there years and if there was ever a survery marker. Made the winding drive through beautiful cedars and close quarter cabins locating the summit water tank. The tank is fenced in and contains the highest rock pile on the summit. I found a marker just outside of the fence to the southwest on what might be someones parking spot. Outside of all the cabins the area is really beautiful and makes you wish you could go back in time and see the peak as it once was.

Strawberry Peak Lookout


Strawberry Peak Lookout always has good views when I happy to visit. Strawberry Peak was delisted in 1969 for over development. The fires have totally killed the south slopes of the mountain making for a sad picture. The tower was closed so I walked around all the towers and down a bit on the south slope.

Heaps Peak


This was my second trip to Heaps and was suprised out how much the recent fires have totally wiped out the flora. Last time I was here the area was choked out with brush. Heaps Peak has two summits with the lower named one on the westside and was delisted in 1969. I made the easy jaunt over to the higher summit to the east and took in the views of the range and to the west of the tower covered named point of Heaps. Overall I had a nice quick jaunt and look forward to some harder hikes in the coming weeks as my leg heals.

External Links

Hundred Peaks Section

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Strawberry PeakTrip Reports