Dells Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.18600°N / 113.3675°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section on the main page for driving directions to the start of Dell’s Canyon Road.

Route Description

Round Trip Distance : 6.5 mi (measured from the start of Dell’s Canyon road)
Elevation Gain : 2800 ft (measured from the start of Dell’s Canyon road)

Start of Dell’s Canyon Road: N 41.1885 W 113.3198 (WGS 84)

Dells Canyon Hike OverviewHike Overview

The approach we took up the...Start of Hike

Close to the top where we...Near the top, where the chutes begin


To reach the beginning of Dell’s Canyon road, high clearance or 4WD is not needed, unless there have been recent storms. If you have 4WD you will be able to drive up Dell’s Canyon (there is 1 small steep part with large loose rocks) and you will be able to shave off approximately 4 miles and 800 feet of elevation gain (round trip).

Once at the start of Dell’s Canyon, either hike or drive to the end of the road. At the end of Dell’s Canyon Road begin ascending one of the less rugged south facing slopes to gain the ridge. Scramble up approximately 600 feet to gain the ridge. Now that you’ve gained the ridge continue west up the ridge to gain the narrow ridge of the Newfoundland Mountains that runs north-south. The whole hike up to this point should require no more than off trail class 2 hiking.

From here continue south along the ridge towards the summit of Desert Peak. Continue along the ridge until it becomes more rugged and you are forced to the east side of the peak. About a 1/10 of a mile from when you first gain the ridge you will reach a small 20-foot cliff band. Look closely for a route up and there is actually a rock cairn that marks one of the easiest ways being class 3. Once up this cliff band continue south towards the jagged summit area of Desert Peak. You will soon be here.

Continue heading south on the east slope of Desert Peak. You will soon reach some small chutes with loose rock. Scrambling across 2 of them you reach one that will block your way with loose rock. Descend approximately 30 feet to the bottom of this chute and scramble around the bottom of it then ascend up about 40 feet to a small rock wall. At the rock wall ascend the left side. Here, there is about 15 feet of exposure and class 3+ scrambling. Scramble to the top then continue south a short ways along the summit ridge to the summit (class 2).

Essential Gear

Water is necessary to have; the only nearby available water source is a trickle in Dell’s Canyon. Make sure you have plenty of food and gas; the closest services are about 70 miles away. A GPS isn’t necessary to do this hike but could be helpful to find the start of the hike (not necessary if you use your odometer).

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.