Descent Route / Scrambling Route

Descent Route / Scrambling Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.06850°N / 114.9684°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the connector stream between the first and second Saddleback Lakes, cross there and shoot for the third major gulley that goes up steeply on the east side of the valley. 


Route Description

Given the amount of people that climb the Perch, I'd thought describe the scramblers route or descent route. If done properly, you can get from the true summit to Saddleback Lakes in 30 minutes.  

Common mistakes are descending/ ascending the 1st and 2nd gulleys south of the Elephant's Perch or descending the north slopes down toward Redfish Creek. While these routes go at Class 4 to Easy 5th class, if you want to optimize your time on the rock routes, use the 3rd gulley south of the Perch for a quick and easy ascent /descent. The north slopes are doable, but require route finding to avoid getting cliffed and even still require small Class 4 moves.

          

Ascend the 3rd gulley south of the summit.  Once on the south ridge of the Elephant's Perch, the terrain is mostly flat. You can also scramble up the East Summit of the Elephant's Perch in addition to the West Summit. While the 3rd gulley is just a third class scramble, be cautious of loose rocks, especially if your not alone. You can go further south of the 3rd gulley and reach the south ridge, but you must pass a small tower along that ridge.

   


Essential Gear

If finishing up a rock route, you may want to keep your helmet on once in the steep, loose 3rd gulley.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.