Devils Thumb Park/Cabin Creek/West Ridge

Devils Thumb Park/Cabin Creek/West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.95980°N / 105.6811°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive to the north end of Fraser on Highway 40, and to between mile markers 226 and 227. Turn east on to the road marked for County Road 8. Follow County Road 8 for 6.4 miles to the forest service boundary, at which point the road becomes Forest Road 128. Turn left and follow the road for 1.1 miles to a junction at which point you will turn right and drive for .3 miles to the end of the road and at a small dam. This is the trailhead. This road is also rough in places, but can be driven by a car if you go slowly and if care is taken.

Route Description


This route is much longer than the one from Rollins Pass, but offers the advantages of a few campsites along the way, and is less exposed to the elements.

From the trailhead at 9640 feet, follow the trail east. After about .75 miles there is a junction. Turn right on the trail marked for Devils Thumb. There is a stream crossing on a bridge across Cabin Creek, and up until here, the trail ascends at a very gentle grade. The trail is faded (2003) at first as it crosses the meadows of Devils Thumb Park, but after crossing the meadows, it become distinct and easy to follow. The trail climbs along Cabin Creek while passing some waterfalls. The trail becomes steep and climbs to timberline and there are some small campsites located in a meadow near timberline. The views open up and the trail climbs to Devils Thumb Pass (11,747 feet elevation) after 3.4 miles. Enjoy the fine views in all directions from the pass. Note that the topo map does not show the trail correctly. The trail actually follows the north side of Devils Thumb Park and stays well north of where it is marked on the map until the creek crossing. The trail then stays a bit south of where it is marked on the map for the entire way to the pass.

From the pass, follow the trail south and up the hill. Rather than follow the main trail, it is probably best to climb higher and stay close to the Continental Divide, passing just to the west of Point 12,123. Continue following the Divide until you are west of Skyscraper Peak which is marked as 12,383 on the topo map. Hike along the Continental Divide to the west ridge of Skyscraper Peak.

Once on the ridge, head east along the ridge over a few false summits and to the highest point. Roach’s book rates the ridge as class 3, but it seems to be a solid class 2, and there is only some very minor scrambling. Enjoy the great views in all directions! The round trip distance is 10.2 miles and with about 2800 feet total elevation gain.







Essential Gear


A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.