Eagle creek/ upper Fuji trail

Eagle creek/ upper Fuji trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.66117°N / 122.09724°W
Additional Information Route Type: summer hike/winter ski
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Along the I-5 corridor/western oregon take exit 188 willamette hwy 58 east towards klamath falls/central oregon. It is 36 miles to the town of oakridge last stop for gas and goods. then it is 14 miles to the eagle creek road # 5583.between milepost 50 and 51. Eagle creek road is on the left side of the hwy immediatly beyond the southern pacific train trestle. (the only trestle between oakridge and eagle creek). You follow road 5583 about 10 miles to within 100 yards of the end of the road. The trail head is to the right the parking on the left. From the east you drive hwy 58 over willamette pass through salt creek tunnel all the way down the 6% grade of the hwy till you hit the flats and the train trestle appears, eagle creeck road is to your right.

Route Description

I wanted to post this route generally because it gives such quick access to a gorgeous area. the trail begins in an old clear cut and proceeds into a second growth forest and quickly at .2 miles intersects with the Fuji mountain trail. At this point you proceed left up through old growth forest along the rim at the head of eagle creek. It continues up hill making long switchbacks. There was some recent blowdown from the winter of 04' The trail may be a bit diced up through this section. at about 1.2 miles you reach a opening along a cliff. views of the waldo wilderness begin to open up here. One more long switchback as the trail goes around the south end of the peak. then a little bit of scrambling over a vague trail on up to the summit at 1.5 miles. The north side of the mountain is all cliffs cascading down into some expansive boulder fields. Ther is lots of rocky ledges and peaklets in the immidiate area. the views are magnificant with the whole of waldo lake to the north foreground. Waldo lake is considered one of the purest lakes in the world. The three sisters reign supreme on the northern horizon. To the west is the Black / salmon creek drainage and the western cascades. to the east is maiden peak, eagle peak, willamette pass and odell lake. the view to the south takes in the bulk of diamond peak and The pyramid of Mt yoran. andf the salt creek canyon. The total distance is a mere 3.0 miles and well worth it!

Essential Gear

In summertime bring water map and compass ,( it is tempting to go off into the wilderness). good hikers, or boots, and.mosquito reppelent. Don"t forget your camera. In winter time access to this area is not as easy. It will be a longer approach either from lower eagle creek road, fuji creek road or waldo road snow park. ski's suggested for the distance but snowshoes if your not in a hurry . The waldo wilderness map, willamette natl forest map or willamette pass X country ski trails map will give you good coverage of the area. I will add more details/ photos of this route soon, especially the winter access description.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.