East Canyon to South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.03910°N / 106.533°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route has two distinct parts: a flat section that follows the Sierra Vista Trail and a steep rugged section that heads up a canyon and follows the south ridge to the summit of North Anthonys Nose.

Getting There

The easiest approach to North Anthonys Nose involves following the Sierra Vista Trail from NM 404. From exit #162 on Interstate 10 between Las Cruces and El Paso head east for 4.2 miles to a gated access road on the north. The gate is well maintained and provides access to some fenced exposed white pipes and to the BLM TH for the Sierra Vista Trail. I assume you're more interested in the TH, so open the gate, drive through, and shut the gate. Drive between two fenced pipe areas and head to the left. Turn quickly right (next to another nice gate, that serves no purpose) and follow this road for 0.15 miles to the parking area. Tie up your horse, get your hiking shoes on, and hit the trail!

Route Description

Route MapThe red line indicates the East Canyon / South Ridge route
From the parking area described above and located at N 32 00.825 and W 106 31.354 follow the washed out jeep track and the brown BLM trail sign to the North - Northeast. The first two miles of this hike follow the Sierra Vista trail along the east side of the northern Franklin Mountains. There will be a number of other jeep track that intersect the main route, ignore these and continue to stay east of all the main escarpments. All the while heading north. At about the two mile point a major drainage will intersect the jeep path and your time on a trail will be over. The turnoff will be located at approximately N 32 02. 216 and W 106 31.303.


Canyon EntranceHere is what the view should look like when you leave the jeep track and enter the canyon



From this location the easiest going is along the side of the canyon, but you will eventually be forced into the canyon bottom and will have to hop some boulders and dodge cactus as you make your way up the canyon. Follow the canyon all the way until you reach a small saddle (about 0.6 miles from the mouth of the canyon). From this saddle the going is a little easier as there is a small exposed rocky ridge that leads north all the way to the summit.


Dry FallOne of the dry falls you'll have to navigate on the way up the canyon
Summit RidgeHere is the view towards the summit from the saddle

Essential Gear

Typical desert hiking gear.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.