East Ridge (standard)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.67560°N / 105.5225°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Where to find the trailhead is discussed on the main page. Basically, the trailhead is located on Colorado 103, 12 milesn past Evergreen. Look down to see remnants of an old ski area, and look across the mountain to see a concrete post. The trail begins here and climbs steeply south, up through the trees.

Route Description


Follow the trail as it climbs steeply through the trees. After approximately .15 miles you wil cross the old Squaw Pass road that leads up to the Squaw Mtn. radio tower. Cross the road and find the trail directly on the other side. Continue climbing up through the trees until you reach the broad saddle between Chief and Papoose after .3 miles. At this point the trail turns towards the southeast and starts climbing up the east ridge of Chief, up to timberline. From timberline, climb up through gnarled trees and rocks to the summit block. The last fifty feet require some light scrambling, but nothing that should cause anyone any problems.

Essential Gear


Hiking boots and warm clothes. The wind on Chief can be brutal. This is a very nice snowshoe hike in winter with low avalanche danger.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.