East Ridge Tenmile Peak

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.54310°N / 106.1201°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The East Ridge of Tenmile Peak offers a direct access to the summit of Tenmile Peak. (pictures to follow - cable to download pics went awol..)

Getting There

From I-70 take Exit 203, Frisco / Breckenridge, and travel south on HWY 9 toward Breckenridge. Travel 1.5 miles to the intersection with Peak One Blve (CR 1004). Turn right and follow this road for approximately 100 yards and turn right, then an immediate left turn onto CR 1000. Continue on this road for another 0.1 mile to the parking area at the gate. This is the parking for winter access. During the summer, you can continue up the road up to another 3 miles . USE EXTREME CAUTION entering the road/rec path past the gate and crossing the paved Frisco/Breckenridge rec path. Pavement ends after the crossing.

How far you want/can go up Miners Creek Road depends on your route selection and the car you are driving.

The Peak's Trail crosses the road just before the crossing with Miner’s Creek. A parking area is about 100 yard before the bridge to your right.

If you want to drive up Miners Creek Road as far as possible: the first 1.5 miles of the road are feasible with 2 WD in dry condition if one takes it slow, it includes driving straight through a tributary of Miners Creek.  After heavy rainfalls you would have to navigate deep puddles and the creek crossing may be challenging. Plenty of spots to park along this section.  The end of the first 1.5 miles is right where you would have to drive through a second tributary of Miners Creek. The last 1.5 miles require 4 WD with high clearance. The higher you drive the rougher,steeper and narrower (less options to park) the road gets. Some of the deep ruts half way up this section may be a very tough challenge for an SUV. 

Seasonal Closure: Miners Creek Road is closed to motor vehicles Nov. 23 thru May 20 

Route Description

Peak's Trail/Miners Trail: 

Follow Peak's Trail for a while until Miner's Trail splits off to your right. Follow the trail uphill along the south side of Miners Creek valley to the terminus of the Miner's Creek Road (4 WD), continue as described per below. 

CAUTION: Peak's Trail is a very popular mountain bike route. Bikers descending from Breckenridge barrel down this narrow and windy trail. High risk of accidents if hikers and bikers do not see/hear each other.

Miners Creek Road

One can simply hike up Miners Creek Road to its endpoint at about 11,000 ft. This option is a bit shorter (especially if you decide to drive up as high as possible, obviously). From the end of the road follow Miner's Trail for about another mile until a small clearing which offers the first completely unobstructed view of Peak 2 to the right . Leave the trail, gain the ridge to your right. An easy Class 2 scramble up Tenmile's Peak East Ridge gets you eventually to its summit.


Essential Gear / Mountain Conditions

Sturdy boots will do it - if you continue climbing on to Peak 3/ 4 - a helmet would be a very good idea. 
Tenmile Peak is a very exposed mountain. Lightning strikes are a serous threat, in summer get an early start and be off the summit before noon.

Red Tape

Camping is not allowed along the first 1.5 miles of Miners Creek Road. A sign will advise you (at the second creek crossing) when you have reached the end of the first 1.5 miles.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.