East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.88460°N / 122.0957°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the bridge at Ripplebrook, head south on road 46 for 3.6 miles and turn right onto road 63. Follow Road 63 for 12.2 miles until the pavement ends and the road forks. Take the right on road 6380 and follow it for 2.8 miles to the trailhead for trail #559. Make sure to stay left after crossing the Collawash River. There is a parking area on the left side of the road just past the trailhead.

Route Description

From the trailhead on road 6380, head south on Elk Lake Creek Trail #559. After 2 miles, cross Knob Rock Creek and the very picturesque Welcome Creek. At 2.2 miles, go right onto Welcome Lakes Trail #554. After about 2.5 miles of long switchbacks, the trail levels out and passes Welcome lakes. At a campsite, West Lake Way trail #556 joins from the right. Continue straight on Trail #554. The trail then switchbacks to gain a ridge, where the abandoned trail #557 joins from the left. Go right, and head west following the ridge. Shortly after going through some Beautiful old growth forest, the trail for Big Slide Lake joins from the right and shortly after that Mother Lode Trail #558 joins from the left. Continue on Trail #554 and after a few more switchbacks you will arrive at the Lookout.

Distance one-way is 7.2 miles with an elevation gain of about 2960 feet.

Essential Gear

None needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.