East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.31700°N / 113.057°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/Technical Rock
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the Wilcat Canyon trailhead, head to the south to the Northgate Peaks trailhead, then after reaching the saddle between the Northgate Peaks descend to the base of the North Guardian Angel.

Route Description


Climb the Class 3 sandstone stair-step slabs to the base of the east ridge. The first pitch is the crux, with about a 20-30 foot section of steep Class 4 sandstone, good rock for sandstone - at least it seems like it.

After that, the route consists of mainly Class 3 sandstone with an occasional 4th class move. Gain the summit ridge and enjoy a walkway, narrow in places, to the summit cairn.

Downclimb and rappel, where appropriate, the ascent route Slings are rope are useful. Large pine trees make great rappel anchors.

Essential Gear


Bring a rope and slings. One 60 meter rope is fine. Leave the chocks and cams at home, no place to use them. Lots of trees for anchors.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.