East Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.52750°N / 118.2182°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 2
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the vicinity of the Patriarch Grove turn-off, the southeast slope of Sheep Mountain is clearly visible to the immediate northwest.

Continue on the main road on foot to the visible highpoint in the road a short distance (1/4 mile, perhaps) to the north. The point will be immediately to the east of an obvious light-colored peak, locally known as "Limestone Peak" (approx. 12,220 feet), next to the road.

Route Description

This is another easy part.

Leave the road where it passes by Limestone Peak at the highpoint and head due west up to Limestone's summit. From there, drop down to the low saddle connecting it with Sheep Mountain to the west. Waltz up Sheep Mountain. There’s really no further explanation needed. You should encounter nothing harder than class 2…anywhere in this area.

In addition to the summit’s great views of the Sierra, you’ll also get a nice view looking down Sheep Mountain’s steep west face. You’ll be able to see Campito Mountain to the south, Piute Mountain to the north, and Mt. Barcroft to the north of Piute.

Somebody’s built a nice windbreak up there. There’s also a summit register.


To descend, retrace your steps, head over to Piute Mountain, or for something resembling a loop, descend directly to your vehicle via Sheep’s class 2 southeast slope.

Essential Gear

The basics should do the trick. No special equipment should be needed.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.