East Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.16110°N / 105.5856°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike-Summer, Easy Snow-Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting To The Trailheads section on the main page. This route is accessible from either the Mount Saint Vrain TH, or the Middle Saint Vrain TH.

The Mount Saint Vrain TH is the best option to link up with Meadow Mountain. It only requires about 0.7 miles and 400 ft to add Meadow to the day's tally. This is also the only feasible option for winter and early spring ascents.
This topo map shows our combo...

Route Description

From the Mount Saint Vrain TH:

From the parking area at 8900 ft, start hiking west. The first two miles lead along a gentle trail that makes it's way through a wooded area. The trail is easy to follow and in good condition. Into the third mile you start to see the steeper section leading to the 11,200 ft saddle below Meadow Mountain. The last mile switchbacks up to the saddle, where you finally get a preview of St Vrain and it's East Slopes.

A good trail leads south as it skirts unamed Pt 11,479 and makes it's way to the 11,300 ft saddle just below the East Slopes of St Vrain. From here it is a pleasent hike covering about 0.75 miles and gaining just over 800 ft to the expansive summit of St Vrain.

8.5 miles
3200 ft

From the Middle Saint Vrain TH:

Looking at St Vrain Mtn from...


If starting from the standard parking area for the M St Vrain trail, follow the rought 4x4 road for nearly 4 miles to the IPW boundary and the Buchanan Pass trail. The Mount Saint Vrain trail leaves the Buchanan Pass trail at about 9800 ft near the IPW Boundary. From here it climbs NE for about 2.5 miles to the saddle below St Vrain's East Slopes.

High clearence 4x4's can make the drive, thus cutting into both the distance and elevation gain.

15 miles
3400 ft

4x4 Parking
6 miles
2400 ft

Essential Gear

In summer, sturdy hiking boots/shoes, proper rain gear and water are all that is needed. In winter, skis or snowshoes are a must due to the accumulation of snow in the bowl below Meadow Mountain.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.