East Temple Northwest Ridge

East Temple Northwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.71084°N / 109.16987°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The northwest ridge (called the "northwest rib" in the text of the main page for this peak) offers a more enjoyable and direct nontechnical route to the summit of East Temple than the standard route via Temple Pass. It involves light scrambling on beautiful, solid rock in a gorgeous situation above the lakes.

E Temple, NW Ridge
In this view from the outlet of Deep Lake, the northwest ridge route goes up the low sunlit dome at center, mostly following the boundary between sun and shadow. Click on the image to enlarge.

The main peaks in the picture are, left to right, Steeple, East Temple, and Temple.

Getting There

The route starts from the 10,760-foot saddle between Deep and Temple Lakes, reached via the Little Sandy Trail. There is a small lake in the saddle, with good campsites, which can offer a welcome alternative if Deep Lake is crowded. The route goes up and along the prominent granite dome between East Temple and Temple.

Route Map
Route shown in red.  Click on the image, then click again, for a clearer and slightly larger map.

Route Description

From the saddle, scramble the crescent-shaped ridge that runs along the cliffs facing Deep Lake and Lake 10602. As it veers to climber's right to approach the summit of the dome, excellent ledges permit you to bypass the dome's crest and scramble across its east face to the saddle between the dome and the main mass of East Temple. The climbing to this point is all class 3 on solid slabs and shelves. Now continue on class 2 terrain to the broad, low angle southwest slopes of East Temple, which funnel you to the top.

On the ridge
On the ridge
Bypass Ledges
A view of the east-side ledges that bypass the top of the dome.

Essential Gear

No technical climbing gear is needed.

Scenery on the way up

 
Vantage point
The northwest ridge provides a closeup vantage point to look at Lost Temple Spire and East Temple's stupendous northwest face.
 
Temple from E. Temple s NW Ridge
On the other side, the views of Temple are equally impressive.

External Links

Profile of approach hike.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.