Eastern ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 27.50000°N / 15.57°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take Highway GC1 northward towards Telde. At the exit Telde get off and head in the dierection of Valsequillo on GC41. Some 15 km after Valsequillo you will reach Vega de San Mateo.

Route Description


Altitude Gain: 1150m
Duration: 4h
Trailhead: Vega de San Mateo

A long and strenuous hike. Take care of the weather. There are often rainclouds in the northeastern part of Gran Canaria which fog the upper regions of the Cumbre (central mountains).

From Vega de San Mateo hike along GC41 until you reach a sharp left turn. Here straight ahead a small lane leads steeply upwards in the general direction of the central mountains. On the top of a hill the lane makes a right turn towards a hamlet. Here, howerer, again climb straight ahead over the broad ridge which finally diasappears in a pine forest. Climb steeply through this forest and you'll reach a holiday camp. From here turn left on a gravel road which after some 2km leads you to the hamlet Casa dos Ingles. Here again the trail leaves the road and winds through pine forest and underbrush towards the road that traverses the central mountains. Take a couple of steps southward on this road and turn right into another gravel road wich finally leads to the summit of Pico de las Nieves. Hike around the military installation (take the road to its right) and you will reach the panoramic parking lot on top.

Essential gear


Hiking gear is sufficient.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.