Eisenhower Mt

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.69171°N / 116.3368°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

There are a couple of ways of climbing Eisenhower Mountain in Indian Wells, CA. The traditional route is to take the outer-loop trail at the Living Desert to the picnic area just below Eisenhower Mountain. The loop trail is 3.5 miles, you can go either way where it splits, I generally go the northern trail since I like looking into the Vintage Club, considered one of America's most exclusive country clubs (at one time over 20+ NBA owners had homes there). If you're looking for a lot more adventure, then do the traverse route described below, it's much more interesting. It's a point-to-point hike, so you'll need to have someone pick you up or Uber back to your car. You essentially hike from the La Quinta Hotel to the outer gates at the Living Desert in Palm Desert.

Getting There

From Highway 111, head south on Washington St to Eisenhower Dr. Turn right and follow Eisenhower around the corner to the La Quinta Resort, a classic hotel from the 1920's. Park in the hotel parking lot, then walk out to the 16th hole of the La Quinta Mountain golf course. 

Route Description

Starting at the tee box for the 16th hole of the La Quinta Mountain golf course, head up the valley. You'll be scrambling over large rocks, no real path, just keep heading up and to the West. As the valley closes in, head up the right side to the ridge. Follow ridge the rest of the way to the summit. It's a great scramble, yet challenging enough to make it exciting. After summitting, I then scrambled down to the Living Desert trail, and hiked out from there. The golf course directly to your North is El Dorado, and the one to the Northwest is the Vintage Club. If you head down toward the Vintage Club, you'll see the picnic area of the Living Desert outer loop trail. Great way to hike from La Quinta to Palm Desert. It took me about 3 1/2 hours from start to finish. If you're in the desert, it's a great hike.

Essential Gear

Light gloves help since the rock is pretty coarse. I wear an old pair of running shoes, the rock really eats up the soles.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.