Ellinor, a trip report in verse

Ellinor, a trip report in verse

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.52500°N / 123.24905°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 26, 2014
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Introduction

 
Mount Washington (Olympics)
Mount Washington
For the sixth outing of the Boeing Employees' Alpine Society Basic Climbing Class (BOEALPS BCC) and the first overnight trip Team 7 attempted to climb Mounts Washington and Ellinor in the Olympics.  There are eleven outings in the three month long BCC staring in March and ending in June.  After the second outing the class is broken up into eight teams of twelve instructors and students.  For the various class trips the teams scatter to peaks all over Washington State.  As the lead instructor for Team 7 I picked Washington & Ellinor.  I had climbed The Brothers Traverse the year before and was eager to return to the Olympics.  Washington and Ellinor are adjacent peaks and a popular climb for the Basic Class.  BCC Team 4 was also climbing there that weekend.  The plan was that Team 4 would climb Ellinor's main summit & Ellinor's "A" Peak on Saturday, while Team 7 would climb Washington.  We would try and meet halfway and camp between the two summits.  Then on Sunday we would switch peaks.

 
Ellinor s  A  Peak
Ellinor's "A" Peak
It was a nice idea, but the weather had other plans in store for us.  It was clear blue skies when we arrived at the trailhead Saturday morning.  Everyone was in high spirits, but we knew that we were in a race against time to reach the summit of Washington because snow was in the forecast that evening.  Despite the team's best efforts we had to turn back well below the summit of Washington, the blizzard hit earlier and harder than we expected.  Back at camp we constructed a big camp kitchen with high wind walls, but the wind-chill was too extreme and after dinner we all retreated to our tents.  It was hard to believe that it was the last weekend in April; it felt more like a winter storm.  We did not link up with Team 4 that night; because of the weather they ended up camping closer to Ellinor.  Huddled in my tent I read a copy of the horror writer H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.  A fan of Lovecraft I had also recently been rereading a lot of Edgar Allen Poe's works, an author who was a big influence on Lovecraft.  I could not help but notice that the name Ellinor rhymed with Lenore, the woman for who's passing the narrator of Poe's The Raven is lamenting.

 
The Meadow on the way up to Mount Washington
Meadow on approach hike
The blizzard raged all night, buffeting our tents with gale-force gusts and the snow never stopped falling.  I had built a wind wall around my little one-man tent, but it only served to trap snow so that in the morning I found the three sides of my tent that were protected by the wind wall were buried in a couple feet of wind drift snow.  At least a foot or more of snow had fallen overnight so it was obvious that we were not going to summit Ellinor.  We broke down camp at first light and headed out.  We wanted to begin the descent in the morning cold before the warmth of the spring sun increased the avalanche danger.  During the night the freezing level had dropped to the trailhead so that the road and our cars, which had been snow-free the day before, were now covered with a half a foot of snow.  Everyone made it out safely and we did eventually link up with Team 4, not on the mountain as planned but instead at the Fish Tale Brew Pub in Olympia.  Over beers I kept turning over the Ellinor/Lenore rhyme which lead to my adaptation of The Raven as a Washington/Ellinor trip report.  I am sure Poe is spinning in his grave.

Ellinor

With apologies to Edgar Allen Poe

Once upon a midnight dreary, I huddled in my tent weak and weary,
Over Lovecraft's tome Mountains of Madness I read, nearly napping
While I nodded, nearly napping the wind did howl,
As my tent was tempest tossed the storm lashing, lashing my little shelter,
I thought I heard a voice, just out side my tent's door.
"Tis the wind," I muttered, "fluttering my tent door—
Only this and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember it was a bleak blizzard;
Team 7 camped in the crook betwixt Mounts Washington and Ellinor.
Eagerly I wished the marrow; —that day's storm rebuffed us,
denied us Washington's summit, so I yearned for the summit of Ellinor.
I yearned for that peak named for Davidson's fair Maiden—
A mountain visible from Seattle's shore that I have long pined for.
Would this weekend I climb again?
From the wind I though I heard the words "Nevermore"

"Tis my teammates snoring—loudly snoring, snoring—
This it is and nothing more."
As if in reply the gale buffeted my tent sending it violently rocking,
Then I heard a knocking like someone tapping, loudly tapping at my tent's door.
"Surely," said I, "surely that is some teammate at my door."
Flung open my vestibule door did I and was greeted by the storm,
By a vision of Night's Plutonian shore like a scene illustrated by Gustave Doré.
"Sir," said I, "or Madam?" Inquired I to no reply.
Darkness there and nothing more.

Back in my tent I lie there brooding, I was brooding, brooding about fair Ellinor.
As inches, inches of snow did fall I thought of Ellinor, so close yet so far.
The roof of my tent did sag from snow and I struck it with fury to shake it loose.
Spoke aloud my frustrations, "Shall I this weekend climb again?
Shall I clasp that rare and radiant summit, whom the angles named Ellinor?"
A furious blast of wind sent as if from Seraphim nearly flattened my tent.
This time clearly did I hear the tempest speak.
Quoth the wind "Nevermore"
Descending from Mount Washington attempt
Descending Washington
Cold Comfort Camp
Cold Comfort Camp
Half-buried tent
Buried tent

Links

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
www.summitpost.org/o-brother-where-art-thou/889752
My 2013 Brothers Traverse trip report

The Summitears weep triumphal tears on Mount Baker
www.summitpost.org/the-summitears-weep-triumphal-tears-on-mount-baker/906536
My 2014 BOEALPS Basic Climbing Class Team’s graduation climb.

Boeing Employees Alpine Society (BOEALPS)
boealps.org
Although it is a Boeing Club you do not have to be a Boeing Employee to take the Basic Climbing Class

The Fish Tale Brew Pub in Olympia
www.fishbrewing.com/brewpub

References

Olympic Mountain Rescue (Society). The Olympic Mountains: A climbing guide : alpine climbs, rock climbs, and high traverses (4th ed.).  Seattle. WA :, Mountaineers Books,, 2006

Smoot, Jeff. Climbing Washington's Mountains : summit hikes, scrambles, and climbs in Washington's Cascade and Olympic Mountain Range. Guilford Conn.: Falcon, 2002. Pgs. 369-372.

Poe, Edgar Allan.  Complete stories and poems of Edgar Allan Poe.  New York : Doubleday, 1966.



Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount WashingtonTrip Reports
 
Mt. EllinorTrip Reports