Evening hike on Mt. Garfield

Evening hike on Mt. Garfield

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Overview

Mount Garfield is of of the main geographical features of the Grand Valley, the Bookcliffs rise sharply to form a striking scenic wall stretches deep into Utah. In the Grand Junction area, the Bookcliffs top top out at a height of 6,765 feet in Mount Garfield. The short but challenging Mount Garfield Trail climbs to the top just west of the town of Palisade. The trail is only 2 miles long, but is ascends over 2,000 feet.

Elevation: 4800 to 6765 feet
Hiking Time: ~ 4 hrs
Season: Year round

From a trailhead, the Mount Garfield Trail heads north across a level area to reach a steep sided ridge of Mancos Shale. Following the spine of this ridge, the route climbs a very strenuous grade for the next 0.5 mile. Deposited in a shallow sea over 75 million years ago during the Cretaceous period, Mancos Shale is a soft clay-like material that swells greatly when wen at shrinks upon drying. Because of this, few plants can grow in the soil, thereby allowing rapid erosion. Mancos Shale is very slick and gooey when wet, so this hike is dangerous after a rain or snowfall.
After gaining approximately 600 feet along this ridge of Mancos Shale, the route continues to climb up a slope strewn with boulders of the Mesa Verde Group sandstones. Eventually, the trail reaches a shelf of relatively level ground with some grassy areas. From here, the Mount Garfield Trail climbs to a saddle just below the rim above. Beyond this climb, it is a short distance farther to the crest of the Book Cliffs. From the crest, the trail continues less than 0.5 mile west to the summit of Mount Garfield.

External Links

Some on-line information


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Silvia Mazzani

Silvia Mazzani - Jan 31, 2012 12:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Magic atmosphere

...and fine images.

silvia

A caress to Duchess (once i also had two dog-mountaineer)

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Feb 1, 2012 11:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Magic atmosphere

Thanks Sylvia....I love my dog and fear the moment when her time will come...

Silvia Mazzani

Silvia Mazzani - Feb 2, 2012 10:01 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Magic atmosphere

I understand, it was the same for me when they began to get on in years, but now you can still enjoy this wonderful time with her...
Ciao.
silvia

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.